Angela’s Bed & Breakfast
Opened in 2013, Angela’s Bed & Breakfast is located in The Glebe neighbourhood in Ottawa. Owner Angela Keller-Herzog has invested heavily in the old family home, built in 1898, with the aim of making Angela’s B&B the smallest carbon footprint B&B in Ottawa. Over the last six years she has continually invested in sustainability improvements to achieve that goal.
A Local Sustainability Leader With Global Reach
Since 2016, Angela’s B&B has decreased its carbon footprint by nearly 50% while growing its revenue. The following are some of the projects Angela has invested in and best practices she abides by to minimize the B&B’s environmental impact.
Energy & Carbon:
- Switched to Bullfrog Power
- Installed a high-efficiency gas furnace
- Installed 15 solar panels
- Completed a variety of lighting retrofits to LEDs
- Completed a variety of insulation projects
- Installed an electric vehicle charger
- Replaced 10 windows and front door with ENERGY STAR Most Efficient models
- Replaced end-of-life stove with an Energuide top-rated induction-range stove
- Installed at-sink water filter system
- Replaced all three old toilets with low-flow toilets
- Installed low-flow showerheads
- Source ~75% of the food organically and/or locally
- Have a backyard garden where herbs, fruits and vegetables are grown
- Invested in growing bicycle fleet available for guest use
- Started charging $5.00 per 24hrs for guest off-street car parking to discourage driving
Waste & Recycling:
- Implemented an in-house recycling and separation system
- Take-out coffee cups are recyclable
- Take-out breakfast is provided in reusable lunch box containers
- Reusable bags are used for shopping
- Reusable cloth napkins are used for breakfast
- Shampoo, body wash & moisturizer are purchased in refillable large bottles
- Guests are not provided with plastic water bottles
- Over-packaged foods are avoided for breakfast
- Organic waste is separated into backyard compost
- All toilet paper is 100% recycled fibre
Beyond her sustainability commitment for the B&B, Angela is very involved in the community and is one of the most vocal advocates for greenhouse gas reductions in Ottawa. She champions the Carbon 613 program, constantly sharing her learnings and helps other businesses understand the importance and benefits of sustainability.
The B&B’s guests have also taken notice — sometimes choosing to stay there because of aligned values or leaving their stay inspired by Angela’s commitment to sustainability, and hopefully, bringing a piece of that home.